As I drove to the United Way of Southeastern Connecticut office this morning, half-listening to the radio as I slowly woke up, I heard a fact that made me sit up and pay attention: a new report from the Economic Policy Institute (EPI), ranks Connecticut 3rd out of all 50 states in terms of income inequality between the top 1% and remaining 99% of residents.
Charlie is a dedicated supporter of United Way who believes strongly in the value of serving his community. We caught up with him to ask about his volunteer experiences and what motivates him to give back.
Hi! Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Charlie Witt, and I got involved with United Way over 30 years ago by being a campaign co-chairman at Electric Boat. I run the campaign on second shift.
What kind of volunteering do you do at United Way?
We’ve all heard the warnings from researchers about how too much social media use is bad for us, and as someone who spends a lot of time on social media both for work and in my personal life, I usually just tune them out. I tend to think there are a lot of benefits to social media, and I definitely wouldn’t label it as unequivocally harmful. But I recently spent a weekend with friends and couldn’t help noticing how much of our time together was recorded and repackaged for consumption by others.
Happy Independence Day! Cookouts, fireworks, and outdoor fun are par for the course, but you can make your holiday a little more meaningful with these four ways to Live United.
Retirement brings big changes, but is also a great time to evaluate your priorities and make choices that will help you be happy and fulfilled. Volunteering is one way to stay active and engaged, and comes with numerous benefits for both you and your community (just ask our retired volunteers here at United Way). Here are my Top 5 Reasons to Retire United:
When it comes to homelessness, the prevailing image is distinctly urban. Search Google images for “homeless” and you get images of people surrounded by cement, skyscrapers and sidewalks. Because of this, it can be easy to forget that homelessness can affect people anywhere- even in the smaller cities, suburbs, and rural areas that make up much of Connecticut.
After finding a list of ‘Ways to Keep Your Kids Learning This Summer’ by Cristiana Ventura, I was inspired to rewrite her list with my own suggestions and additions. Here are some ideas to keep your kids’ minds and bodies active this summer:
1. Make a library list
When I think of food drives, I think of Thanksgiving. I think of the holiday season and the sudden interest in serving others that springs up in people during November and December. But hunger and food insecurity don’t discriminate based on the season. In fact, summer can be an especially difficult time for families whose kids would otherwise be receiving free or reduced meals at school. Check out these facts about summer hunger from the organization No Kid Hungry:
May is college graduation season, and my social media feeds have been flooded with pictures of college graduates posing in caps and gowns, captioned with reflections on their college experiences. This, combined with the fact that my brother has begun the process of looking at colleges, has me thinking about all the various things that need to happen for a student to get into and ultimately succeed in college.
As the weather warms up and we head into summer, it’s important to remember that unusually high temperatures can be dangerous for many people. Those most at risk for heat stroke and other heat-related illnesses include infants, seniors, people who are physically impaired, and people who are on certain medications. While it’s only May now, it’s good to start preparing early and bear these tips in mind over the next few months: