Need food? Click below to:
- View a list of our member emergency food programs in New London County
- See a schedule of where our Mobile Food Pantry will be distributing food
One in five children in Southeastern Connecticut is food insecure and a U.S. Census Bureau study indicates that 19,000 people in our region are living below the poverty level. When children do not have the nutrition they require, the ramifications are vast. They have a difficult time concentrating in school, putting their education in jeopardy. Their current and future health is at risk. And they may bear witness to stressed parents who struggle with how to stretch their income to meet all the costs of living.
Since 1988, the Gemma E. Moran United Way/Labor Food Bank has played a key role in providing one of the building blocks to a good quality of life by feeding families and individuals facing hunger and food insecurity all across our community.
Last year, our Food Bank distributed the equivalent of more than 1.8 million meals and snacks through 79 distribution sites including food pantries, shelters, child care centers, community meal sites, programs for the elderly, and our Mobile Food Pantry at no cost to those in need. More than 19,000 men, women and children are helped through these sites each month.
The Food Center is an official Partner Distribution Organization (PDO). This status ensures a partnership with the Connecticut Food Bank, the largest food bank in the state, to provide a product allocation based on poverty levels as determined by the U.S. Census.
If you share our passion for reducing hunger and food insecurity, you are invited to take action:
- Make a donation. When mailing a contribution, please send it to our mailing address at P.O. Box 375, Gales Ferry, CT 06335
- Run a food drive. Click here to learn more about running a drive.
- Volunteer at the Food Bank. Click here for volunteer opportunity descriptions.
- Promote healthier food options and support local farmers, growers, and food producers.
Many thanks to the following funders for their grant support of the Gemma E. Moran United Way/Labor Food Bank and the Mobile Food Pantry program:
Bank of America, Charter Oak Federal Credit Union, Chelsea Groton Bank, Citizens Bank, City of New London, Community Foundations of Eastern Connecticut, Connecticut Food Bank, Dime Bank, Frank Loomis Palmer Fund, Jewett City Savings Bank, Liberty Bank Foundation, ShopRite, the Rotary Club of Mystic, Webster Bank, and Wells Fargo.