Every year, people across the country come together on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, a day of national service and dialogue, to honor the memory of Dr. King. Choose to Live United by celebrating MLK Day as a "day on," rather than a day off. Volunteer opportunities are posted below - find the one that works best for you!
United Way of Southeastern Connecticut is an official partner of the Presidential Inauguration Committee on the National Day of Service on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. We have both in-person and virtual volunteer opportunities available:
- In-Person Food Distribution: Volunteer to help the Gemma E. Moran United Way/Labor Food Center distribute 1200 frozen turkeys (Griswold Town Hall and Jennings Elementary School in New London). We have a few spots still open in New London! Complete the following form to sign up: https://form.jotform.com/210074053826146.
- In-Person Blood Donation: Give Life, Give Blood. United Way of Southeastern Connecticut is partnering with the American Red Cross to encourage those who can donate to consider giving blood, as supply is critically low. Click here to find a drive.
- Virtual Mask Making: Make masks at home and deliver them to our office in Gales Ferry (283 Stoddards Wharf Road, Gales Ferry, CT 06335) or to our Food Center (374 Broad Street, New London, CT 06320). Masks will be distributed to our partner agencies for their clients and staff to use.
- Virtual Card Making: Make a thank you card or picture and deliver it to the manager of your local grocery store to share with their staff. Grocery workers are essential workers. This is a great activity to do with children of all ages!.
- Virtual Letter Writing: Write a note to a homebound senior. Please send all cards to seniors in Griswold at: Griswold Senior Center, 22 Soule Street, Jewett City, CT 06351.
For more information about any of the above opportunities, please contact Christina Fleury. Help us follow along with you National Day of Service activities by using the hashtag #UWSECTVolunteer.