Mohegan Sun and its employees receive highest award at event
United Way hosted our Campaign Celebration event to recognize local businesses and organizations that ran outstanding fundraising campaigns and volunteer year-round on behalf of United Way, as well as many of our wonderful volunteers. Nearly 300 community leaders and volunteers gathered at Foxwoods’ Fox Tower to celebrate.
The Campaign Celebration was sponsored by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation and Foxwoods so that no donor dollars were used towards the event. Volunteer Campaign Co-chairs William Louis, President of the MDA-UAW Local 571, and Nadine McBride, Publisher of The Bulletin, announced that $4,471,245 had been donated by the community during the 2018-19 Campaign, complete with a festive balloon drop.
United Way’s highest honor, the Chairman’s Award of Excellence, was presented to Mohegan Sun and its employees. The company is a Platinum level United Way Corporate Benefactor, runs an employee giving campaign, and makes a corporate gift. Employees are actively engaged in the community as volunteers working at United Way’s Mobile Food Pantry each month, serving as Volunteer Readers to students, assisting with the Tommy Toy Fund, and running drives to collect coats, food, school supplies, and toiletries for those in need.
In its 2018-19 United Way Campaign effort, contributions by employees of Mohegan Sun increased by 13% over the previous year. Their overall campaign increased 9%. Employee contributions totaled $277,553, and combined with a corporate gift of $80,000 and Benefactor and special events dollars, Mohegan Sun’s total contribution reached $366,553.
Bonnie Marson of Mohegan Sun also received the honor of Employee Campaign Coordinator of the Year.
Other high honors were presented to: Electric Boat and the EB Employees’ Community Services Association as Community Leader of the Year; NLC Insurance Companies as Loyal Company of the Year; Charter Oak Federal Credit Union as Corporate Sponsor of the Year and Outstanding Leadership Giving; MPTN/Foxwoods as Community Partner of the Year; and June Martin of the Letter Carriers Association as Heart of the Community.
Complete list of 2018-19 United Way Chairman’s Awards
- Chairman’s Award of Excellence – Mohegan Sun & Employees
- Community Leader of the Year - General Dynamics - Electric Boat/Electric Boat Employees’ Community Services Association
- Community Partner of the Year – Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation/Foxwoods Resort Casino
- Corporate Sponsor of the Year – Charter Oak Federal Credit Union
- Bank of the Year – Dime Bank & Employees
- Campaign Coordinator of the Year – Bonnie Marson, Mohegan Sun
- Campaign Committee and Leadership Giving Campaign of the Year – Electric Boat Employees’ Community Services Association
- Labor Partnership of the Year – AFT Connecticut and Locals 5049, 5123, and 5051
- Employee Campaign Performance of the Year – Freeport-McMoRan & Employees
- Loyal Company of the Year – NLC Insurance Companies & Employees
- Heart of the Community – June Martin of the Letter Carriers Association
- New Coordinator of the Year – Marissa Minor, Dime Bank
- Loyal Coordinator of the Year – Marianna McGuirk, City of New London
- City Partner of the Year – City of New London & Employees
- Small Business of the Year – Shipman’s Fire Equipment & Employees
- Retail Partner of the Year – Macy’s & Employees
- Law Firm of the Year – Faulkner & Graves & Employees
- Agency Campaign Committee of the Year – Visiting Nurses Association
- Nonprofit Partner of the Year – Riverfront Children’s Center
- Community Engagement Award – Young Leaders United
- Volunteer Partner of the Year – Pfizer & Employees
- Outstanding Achievement Awards – Preston Public Schools, Applied Physical Sciences, Uniting for United, Norwich Public Utilities, and Zachry Group
- School Engagement of the Year – Norwich Free Academy & Employees
- School Partner of the Year – Norwich Public Schools & Employees
- School Campaign Committee of the Year – Montville Public Schools
- School Campaign Coordinator of the Year – Cynthia Beauregard, Norwich Public Schools
- Live United Award for Inspiration – Cami Spurgas
- Young Leader of the Year – Krista May
- Print Media Partner of the Year – The Bulletin
- Radio Media Partner of the Year – Full Power Radio
- Community Investment Partner of the Year – Jewish Federation
- Food Bank Partner of the Year – Fountain-Timmons Team & Berkshire Hathaway
- Food Bank Volunteers of the Year – Janet Ballestrini and David Schulz
- Campaign Volunteer of the Year – Susan Corrice