If you are interested in volunteer opportunities at our Food Center or some of our partner agencies,
contact Lamar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GET ENGAGED IN THE COMMUNITY BY VOLUNTEERING!
If you are involved in a United Way workplace campaign, work with your United Way Campaign Manager to identify the best volunteer project. If not, call us at (860) 464-7281. We ask that you provide a lead time of 2-3 weeks to ensure we find the best and most meaningful experience to fit your needs. If you are an individual, we would love to speak with you about ways in which you can get involved as well!
In most cases, a United Way staff person will be present during your volunteer activity and will take photos that can be shared with you after the conclusion of the project. United Way posts many of these photos on its social media networks and will "tag" your business or organization, and we encourage your group to do the same.
All volunteers receive a LIVE UNITED t-shirt to wear during your volunteer experience. Please note that some activities do require a budget, and this is noted with an asterisk when applicable in this guide.
Help in our fight against hunger
- Sort food, check expiration dates, and pack food for our Mobile Food Pantry at the warehouse of the Gemma E. Moran United Way/ Labor Food Center
- Help distribute food to families facing hunger at one of our ten monthly Mobile Food Pantry sites
- Maintain and harvest fresh produce grown at the Coogan Farm
- Run a food drive at your business, organization, department, school, or with your civic group.
- Organize a meal packing event. The meals will be delivered to the Gemma E. Moran United Way/Labor Food Center for distribution either to our member emergency food programs or through the Mobile Food Pantry. *
- Assemble Snack Packs for local Schools. The Snack Packs will be for the use of teachers and/ or school nurse when a student is in need of food. *
- Provide office support at our Food Center.
Join our community investment efforts
- Be the eyes and ears of United Way donors by serving as an Allocations Volunteer
- Join a Committee. Committees could range from reviewing results reports to developing budget forms, and they're intended to promote the partnership between donors and partner agencies.
- Serve on the Emergency Food and Shelter Board to determine where to invest FEMA dollars to local agencies.
- Be a United Way Volunteer Reader at one of our reading days.
- Run a school supply drive and/ or help sort through all of the donated supplies at the conclusion of the drive.
- Assemble Literacy/ Learning Kits for children. Kits include an age-appropriate book and activities created by volunteers. *
Help provide a safety net for those in need
- Assemble Family Kits. The Family Kits will be for use of teachers and/or school nurse when a student and their family is in need.
- Run a toy drive for the Tommy Toy Fund.
- Sort, set-up, and distribute toys during the Tommy Toy Fund in December
- Run a winter coat, glove or mitten, hat, sock, or scarf drive.
* These projects have an expense associated with them to cover the cost of supplies and staff time.