Where To Turn For Help

An older woman receiving food at a food pantry

AFL-CIO logo

Unemployment is not just a personal problem-it's also a community problem. There are a number of services, programs, and places to get help. It is important that you know where to get help, or how to find information about where to get help, in your community.
Don’t hesitate to apply for assistance for which you may qualify. Personal pride can make it hard to ask for help, particularly the first time. But remember, you’ve helped to pay for public assistance programs through your taxes while you were working, and you probably gave to your local charities.
So you’re making your money work for you now when you need it. And we all need a little help at some time in our lives. Even companies get subsidies and tax breaks from the government during hard times. There is no reason you shouldn’t get help as well.

Contact landlord(s), mortgage holders, banks, credit union, store accounts, credit cards and utility company before your account gets in arrears. Arrange for suspended or modified payments.

Labor Department

American Job Centers

  • Montville: (860)848-5240
  • United Labor Agency: (860) 612-2780

Department of Higher Education

  • Hotline: 1-800-872-5327
  • Connecticut: (860) 947-1800

Veterans’ Administration
Hartford Regional Benefits Center
55 Willard Avenue, Newington, CT 06111

The Vet Center
2 Cliff Street, Norwich, CT
(860) 887-1755

NOTE: The State of Connecticut has a Soldiers’, Sailors’ and Mariners’ Fund in Southeastern CT (860) 886-8557

Credit Counseling
Money Management & Consumer Credit Counseling Services
Full-service credit counseling: 866-515-2227 or www.moneymanagement.org

Connecticut Legal Services
Call for an appointment in:

  • New London: (860) 447-0323
  • From anywhere else: (800) 413-7798

If you are disabled or age 62 or older, call:

  • 55 Main Street, Norwich: 1-888-482-3170
  • 2 Shaw’s Cove, New London: 1-866-643-3401

Healthcare for Uninsured Children and Youth
The HUSKY Plan is Connecticut’s health insurance program for children. Every child needs quality health care and the HUSKY Plan offers a comprehensive health package for youngsters up to age 19. This may take the worry out of paying for health care. HUSKY provides free or low-cost health Insurance for families of all income levels. For questions and to apply call: 1-877-284-8759 or http://www.huskyhealth.com/.

Please dial 2-1-1, United Way's statewide information and referral hoteline for health care coverage information. The call is free from anywhere in the state, and available 24/7/365 where trained Call Specialists will assist you. You can also visit their website at www.211ct.org.

If your insurance coverage runs out and you or your family is faced wtih a hospitalization, be sure to ask to see a Hospital Social Worker. Every hospital has a Social Services Department. They worker will give you the advice you need regarding what programs you might be eligible for.

Pregnant women or children up to 4 years of age may be eligible for the State WIC Program. This is a supplemental food program for pregnant women and children.

  • Call TVCCA:
    • In Norwich/Jewett City: (860) 425-6562
    • In New London: (860) 425-6620

State Assistance Programs
Medical, SNAP (formerly known as food stamps), temporary family assistance, etc. contact CT Social Services: 1-855-626-6632

City & Town Social Services

  • Norwich: (860) 823-3778
  • Groton: (860) 441-6760

Energy Assistance
Call TVCCA at (860) 889-1365
Operation Fuel and United Way's Project Warm-up
For these towns call Catholic Charities in:

  • Norwich: (860) 889-8346
  • New London: (860) 443-5328
  • Pawcatuck: (860) 599-3285
  • All other towns dial 2-1-1

Utility Shutoffs
If you are unable to arrange payments on your bill, be sure to contact the credit office of the company. Let them know your job status. Call the Gas or Electric Company to make payment arrangements.

If you are threatened with a shutoff, call the Department of Public Utility Control: 1-800-382-4586

LIHEAP Energy Assistance Hotline: 1-800-842-1132

The SingleCare (formerly FamilyWize) card helps lower the cost of medicine by an average of 35% or more for people without insurance or who take medications not covered by their plain. These discount cards can be used by everyone in the community, not just those without insurance, free of charge. They can even be used by people with health benefits, including Medicaid and Medicare. To learn more, which pharmacies accept the card, and to download a card, visit www.singlecare.org.

For information on the agency or emergency food program in your area call:

During times of unemployment, or whatever the cause may be, stressful situations can become difficult. Private and family problems can magnify and your family life may suffer. These programs are based on ability to pay. (The first three are United Way-funded agencies.)

Should you need helpful advice or guidance, contact the following:

  • Catholic Charities
    • Norwich: (860) 889-8346
    • New London: (860) 443-5328
  • Child and Family Agency
    • New London: (860) 443-2896
  • United Community & Family Services Southeastern CT: (860) 889-2375
  • L + M Hospital Behavioral Medicine Program: (860) 444-5125
  • Backus Hospital Mental Heath: (860) 823-6321

Child support and alimony payments–contact the Clerk of Court or anyone you are directly involved with. Write a note stating that you are out of work and cannot fulfill your obligation for the time being. Do not ignore this type of obligation.

Contact your local church officials who sometimes have Hardship Funds available for parishioners in need.

Ask your Union representative about information and referral services or programs that may be provided through one or more of the following:

  • Your local union office
  • Your local Union Community Services Committee
  • A trained AFL-CIO Union Counselor in your union
  • AFL-CIO Community Services Representative

This information was prepared by United Way’s AFL-CIO Community Services Program.

If you are a displaced worker, click here for additional resources to help navigate through this time of transition.

You may wish to talk to someone you respect about your feelings. A friend, union counselor, clergyman, professional counselor, or doctor may help you sort out your feelings. Your local mental health center or family counseling agency (listed in this brochure) can help. Don’t be embarrassed to talk with someone.

For more information contact Maggie Marley, Community Engagement Labor Liaison, or call 860.464.3325.