In a pep rally atmosphere with a drum line, rally towels, and dance performances, United Way officially launched its New CapaCITIES: Norwich initaitive to increase the number of financially stable households in Norwich to 66% in the next ten years. The plan to accomplish this goal is by aligning the education system with workforce needs and creating a more interconnected community.
Mohegan Sun and its employees receive highest award at event
United Way hosted our Campaign Celebration event to recognize local businesses and organizations that ran outstanding fundraising campaigns and volunteer year-round on behalf of United Way, as well as many of our wonderful volunteers. Nearly 300 community leaders and volunteers gathered at Foxwoods’ Fox Tower to celebrate.
United Way of Southeastern Connecticut is pleased to announce a round of capacity building grants to several United Way Partner Programs to increase their effectiveness.
This funding opportunity was designed to assist Partners to improve ratings for Partner Programs during the Allocations process, and, ultimately, improve program effectiveness and outcomes for their program participants. United Way Allocations volunteers review Partner Programs and Agencies based on needs, efficiency, and outcomes using a standardized rating tool.
Connecticut United Ways have joined together to promote financial stability for working families statewide.
Connecticut United Ways have joined together to promote financial stability for working families statewide by launching ALICE Saves, a new program designed to help families develop a lifelong habit of saving and other positive financial behaviors.
Click below to find out where to have a Thanksgiving meal and/or register for baskets. Contact the listed agencies or organizations directly for more information.
Please note these listings are for the year 2018.
On October 12th, wind, rain, and cloudy skies cleared just in time for a lunchtime event to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Gemma E. Moran United Way/Labor Food Bank. The event also served as the kickoff to the annual United Way Campaign. Hundreds gathered at the Food Bank in New London to honor Gemma and her dream of never letting anyone go to bed hungry.
Gemma E. Moran United Way/Labor Food Center to celebrate 30th anniversary
Open house event at Food Center will also serve to kick off United Way’s annual campaign
Young Leaders United, an affinity group with United Way of Southeastern Connecticut, is hosting its first benefit event for United Way and its Gemma E. Moran United Way/Labor Food Center. This exciting and fun “golfing for good” nighttime golf game takes place on Friday, August 31 at the Mohegan Sun Golf Club in Baltic. Registration is at 6 p.m. with golf beginning at dusk.
As I drove to the United Way of Southeastern Connecticut office this morning, half-listening to the radio as I slowly woke up, I heard a fact that made me sit up and pay attention: a new report from the Economic Policy Institute (EPI), ranks Connecticut 3rd out of all 50 states in terms of income inequality between the top 1% and remaining 99% of residents.
Charlie is a dedicated supporter of United Way who believes strongly in the value of serving his community. We caught up with him to ask about his volunteer experiences and what motivates him to give back.
Hi! Tell us a little about yourself.
My name is Charlie Witt, and I got involved with United Way over 30 years ago by being a campaign co-chairman at Electric Boat. I run the campaign on second shift.
What kind of volunteering do you do at United Way?